Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What makes a Monogatari

My relationship with the Monogatari series is a one-sided long distance relationship at best. As much as I'd like to get closer, the language gap is large, quite large. I've spent a lot of time trying to get through the difficult Japanese and sometimes I have to admit there will be parts I'll never understand until a better translator comes by. Unfortunately, good translators are hard to come by and Nisioisin induces translator burnout. To be completely fair, his works are not impossibly difficult to read but translating is another beast entirely. A task I wonder anyone will ever complete.



(By the way. the unofficial , after the unfortunate demise of the official one, is going along surprisingly well. I can tell you the translator is lazy but capable.)




It's fortunate then that the second season of the anime is about to swing by, covering Nekomonogatari Shiro all the way to Koimonogatari. I still can't shake that icky feeling when they try to shove 6 novels into 26 episodes, but they've been doing a good job so far.



Like most people, I started my love with the anime and life went downhill from there on. My summer of 2009 revolved around Bakemonogatari and I can still remember a lot of the lively blog posts from that formative period of mine. Senjougahara fascination, enchanted for a lifetime.



Speaking of formative, Nekoshiro has been the most influential book in my opinion on Hanekawa. Through Bake and Kizu she did not interest me, but the teases in Nekokuro are but a fraction of the wacky zany Hanekawa will display Nekoshiro.



I'll refrain from spoilers. But I love those spoilers. Look forward to them.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment