Friday, September 6, 2013

Why Do People Like Bakemonogatari?

Gee, I wonder.



NOTE: This is not a hate post. It's a post about extreme doubt and ambivalence.




So, um, confession time. I don't like Bakemonogatari. It is not a show that agrees with me.



Even so, I wanted to write about it. I don't normally feel compelled to write about something I actively dislike, but in Bakemonogatari's case, the whole package intrigues me. It intrigues me enough that I would watch every single season and still be caught up deciding whether it's worthwhile or not. I don't like any of the characters and the art strikes me as gimmicky and only occasionally brilliant. But there is something about this anime that keeps me coming back to it.



Mostly, I'm baffled: how can a story that is so self-serving and pretentious - that goes out of its way to exclude its audience - become such a mainstream hit?



I mean, sure you might answer that with "It's the fanservice" or "It's because of Senjougahara" or something like that, and while that's fair enough, I am convinced there must be deeper reasons that I cannot get my head around yet.



Is it because it's deep? Because it's artistic?



If that is the case, then I cannot say that I agree with that.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment